Vacant New Jersey

Long Pond Iron Works

Status: Region: Type: Gallery:
Abandoned New Jersey Historical 33 Photos

[Collapse | Expand]

Founded in 1766 by the German ironmaster Peter Hasenclever, the Long Pond Ironworks stood as a steady industry in Northern New Jersey for over one-hundred years. Everything in this small village was built because of the success of the Iron Industry. Even into the late 1800's, when Iron was no longer need to be produced, the area served as a successful mining town. Many new structures were built during this time including churches, a school house, and even a steam powered saw mill. However by the mid to late 20th century, more advanced technology and the decline for the products produced in Long Pond, turned the once bustling town into a ghost town. Eventually the state of New Jersey purchased the land and turned the area into a historical park. Today the area stands as a reminder of what Northern New Jersey was once like. Most all of the buildings have been deemed historical, and have since been renovated. Still, some of the structures stand in ruins, such as the school house, blasting furnace, and water wheels. A full description on the history of long pond can be found at

Stone Double House - Originally built as an Iron Workers House. The house is built almost entirely out of stone from the surrounding land, the walls are two feet thick. After gutted by a fire, the house was restored in 1995.

Whritenour House - The house days back to 1813 and was constructed to house the Whritenour Family (and further generations). Through 1813-1870 several additions were added on. The structure served as a farm house, where the Whritenour family raised sheep and mined ore.

Milligan Harty House - A two family "Iron Worker House", constructed in 1861 around the time of the Civil War. The house is made entirely of resorces from the land, including lime and river sand mortar.

Ward Ryerson House - Dating to perhaps as far back as 1780's this structure served as a farm house.